What Can Counselling Therapy Do For You?
Through therapy, you get to become an expert on your life!
You become aware and in charge of your feeling and thoughts.
You have the skills to build healthy relationships and transform challenging ones.
You get to know what is holding you back and how to move though that obstacle.
You are be able to create, feel and savor motivation, fulfilment, joy, happiness and peace.
You become the architect of your own destiny!
How is Therapy Different From Talking to Friends/Family?
That’s a very good question and one that I hear often from people around me.
In return, I ask “Would you get an advice for how to fix car engine from your friend (not a mechanic) or get insights for how to treat a strange skinrush from your hairdresser?”
Majority of us would choose to get guidance from an expert in the field.
While our family and friends love you, their advice is often bias and may not be the right fit for you.
Handling conflict skilfully, mastering how to regulate and manage unruly feelings, deciding whether to leave or stay in a relationship, changing careers, overcoming fear of commitment, getting to like yourself – these are all too important to be left to be decided on by someone else.
Is Everything Shared in Therapy Confidential?
The same confidentiality standards apply to in-person and online therapy. Anything you share with your therapist and any notes or records that he or she takes are confidential.
There are three exceptions to confidentiality according to the Canadian standards that I abide by:
- When disclosure is necessary to prevent clear and imminent harm to the client or others.
- When a child or a disabled person is in need of protection from physical, emotional, or sexual abuse or neglect.
- When the court orders a therapist to testify or to submit session notes for a legal review.
If any these exceptions are a concern, please connect with me for a free consultation to discuss and clarify any of them.
What are Advantages of Online Counselling Therapy?
- Flexibility. With online therapy, you can schedule your session at the convenient time for you. Evening and weekend appointment times are available to accommodate your needs.
- Easy Scheduling. With Global Therapy, scheduling a session is just a click away. Bypass annoying phone calls, voice mail and playing phone tag, and book your appointment when you want at the time you want it online – through the Global-Therapy Online Booking.
- Accessibility. Easy accessibility to services is the key to many. Say goodbye to the commute time and the stress that comes with traffic and crowds. You can access online Global-Therapy from anywhere in the world as long as you have a phone or internet connection.
- Anonymity. If you are hesitant about therapy, online therapy offers you an option to keep your true identity anonymous, because you can always conceal it you want it. Many people report that in online sessions, unlike the in-person ones, clients feel more ‘on equal footing’ with a therapist, experience less fear of being judged and feel more in ‘control.’
- Added Privacy. Online therapy can reduce or eliminate stigma about seeing a therapist as clients can receive counselling in the privacy of their home.
Is Online Counselling Therapy as Effective as In-Person?
Research shows that online therapy can be just as effective as in-person as evident from the results of this article.
Many other studies have also shown that success of therapy depends on the quality of a relationship between a client and therapist.
To experience full benefits of therapy, it is important that you find a therapist, whether online or face-to-face, who you trust, feel comfortable with and feel empowered by.
How Many Counselling Therapy Sessions do I need?
The number of sessions a person needs is individual and depends on some factors:
- On the type of concern presented
- On the complexity of the present and past issues
- On the quality of the relationship between a person and their therapist
- On the commitment of a person to work in and outside of the sessions
In my practice, I commonly see clients from 5 to 20 sessions.
In some instances, more sessions may be needed to address the concern adequately.
How Frequently Should I have Sessions?
I recommend starting your session weekly to ensure that the benefits that you are experiencing such as new ways of thinking and behaving become habitual and take permanent root.
In some circumstances, client benefits from having two sessions a week at the start of the process.
You can choose between a 50-min session or a 80-minute session length. The longer session is perfect for people who process information verbally and would like to have extra space and time in a session for reflection.
Who is Counselling Therapy Not Suitable For?
Online therapy is not appropriate if you are experiencing hallucinations, a psychotic episode, or are immediately suicidal.
Please connect with the local emergency services such as a hospital, an emergency respond team such as a 911 service or call a 24-hour Crisis Line.